Thursday, August 26, 2010

Yield!!

Hi There,

It has been a while since i have written my thoughts on here.

God has been working hard in our lives personally over the past few months and now we are beginning to see the results of that hard work in how we try to serve Him and who we are as people.

God has been teaching us patience and self control, Linda with liana and me in my work they call it a (controlled) environment, they time you when you go to the bathroom, not my cup of tea, who knew i was a free thinking hippie.

Jesus has repetadely told me to yield to Him and His ways, i am horrible at this and have done a terrible job of allowing Him to lead me, but you know He has embarrised me with his love so often when i really didnt deserve it that over time it wears one down and you begin to really like Him, mabye even love Him.

One of the young people i meet with regurlarly challenged me recently when he said he was struggling with the verses "If you love me then obey me", this messed me up and the more i tried to do it the less I succeded, but rather than punish me or distance Himself from me, God just kept coming out to meet me like the father in the Prodigal son and before i could mention some stupid apology, He just throws a beautiful robe around me and tells the servant to prepare the fattened calf, hushing my pathetic attempts to justify myself. I am blown away by His grace and mercy. This is so countercultural and is changing me in ways i could never imagine.

On the Street (the mustard seed ministry) that i am involved in on a monday night we have been practicing not bringing our strenghts to the table. Dave and I decided not to bring our wisdom, abilities, resources, etc and just to rely completely on Jesus as we go about trying to minister to the homeless community her in this city.

My experiences with God lately have just made me realise all the more that I am His favourite son!!!

An example of this happened the other night as we followed 2 drug dealers who were clearly dealing in broad daylight on one of the main streets in the city. Dave and I followed them, to make them uncomfortable at what they were doing, but as we went along we saw someone in need and stopped to help. As we were talking one of the dealers came right up behing me and touched the back of my neck with his hat, to let me know they were watching too, i was ticked off and we started to pursue them.

Not knowing what to do we practiced what we had promised and called out to Jesus for help, specifically for police who are very rare in cork on a monday night. God heard us and just as the dealers were slipping away at that literal moment as we called out, around the corner sped, you guessed it THE ARMED RESPONSE UNIT!!! i was so excited, they arrested the dealers upon our tip off and we went on with these silly grins on our faces, God is living and active and ready to respond to His childrens whims. Praise God.

Linda and I are excited to start a group for people who have a heart for outreach and mission in the city, we would really appreciate prayer for this, we have already had a huge response and people are hungry for more. The group will be unique as it will have a 2 way dinamic with people encouraging one another to get out there in the community and reach the lost tribes of the city, very exciting stuff, this begins in sept God willing.

Speaking of answered prayer Linda and i were blown away by the response to raise the funds to send 150 kids to school in India, Linda has been blessed as she is getting to meet these kids first hand in Nov and witness the plan to start this school, she will be going as part of a Zest4kids team, a mix of Christ followers and not yet followers, heading away to see what the money will be going towards, very exciting stuff, we would appreciate prayer for that week for safety and wisdom (for me and Liana, while mum is away, hehe)

linda is loving being a mum and doing an outstanding job, it solids right now so that is proving to be a bit of fun, Liana ate a few spoons of carrot puree today, then realised what it was, not impressed!!! I am so in love with my little girl she rocks, love hanging out with her when she holds my face and smiles at me, love it.

Anyway will update soon again, hope this finds you well, and encourages you somehow to keep doing good and not to give up, because at just the right time God will reap a harvest where you are.

Alex.

No comments: